Ten Oaks has a long history dating back to May 1922. However, the company did not start under the Ten Oaks Banner but began under the Stuart Lumber Company. Four local citizens incorporated Stuart Lumber Company in May of 1922 with plans to utilize the timber resources in the county. The four original members of Stuart Lumber Company are Flem Ross, Joel Marshall, Larkin Cockram, and A. Leon Powell. During the first 17 years in business, the men rotated as president, general manager, and director.
Fast forward to 1982, Buddy left the Masonite Corporation to start his business venture. His first order of business was to purchase moth-balled strip flooring equipment from the Masonite Corporation and move the machinery into a new spot on the Mayo River. In July of 1984, he began the Stuart Flooring Corporation operation with just one-half of a strip mill manufacturing line.
In 2004 Buddy expanded his business by purchasing the T-George Vaughan Furniture company to obtain the Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Company building in the Rich Creek Corporate Park in Stuart, Virginia. The building has 260,000 square feet and 34 acres of land where he planned to expand his hardwood flooring operation. The sixty-seven-year-old entrepreneur and his family changed the mill’s name from Stuart Flooring to Ten Oaks, LLC. The new company was established with one goal: to make hardwood flooring better.
Over the next 14 years, Ten Oaks continued to grow steadily and eventually began to run out of space in the original Progress Drive location. Additionally, the company needed more raw material processing capabilities to meet the production demand. As a result, they were given the opportunity to purchase the old Stuart Flooring mill from Shaw Industries when they announced their plans to close the plant. With access to the large plant, Ten Oaks can now expand the solid hardwood flooring product line, offering more products customers need.