Rustic Wood Floor Supply is proud to provide a choice of two reputable sandpaper brands at our Boise and Spokane locations. Our stores stock both Norton and 3M sandpaper, both of which have garnered favor among our valued flooring contractors. With these two sandpaper brands in our inventory, we ensure that we cover 95% of the sandpaper needs for flooring contractors.
History of each brand
The origins of 3M Abrasives Company trace back to 1905 when it was established in Duluth, Minnesota. Subsequently, the company relocated to St. Paul, Minnesota. Over the course of the past century, 3M has significantly broadened its market presence, now ranking as a Fortune 100 company.
During World War I, 3M introduced Tree-M-Ite, a product that played a pivotal role in boosting profits and transforming the sandpaper industry. Notably, Tree-M-Ite sandpaper, featuring a robust cloth backing, remains in use today. In 2002, 3M once again made waves in the market with the introduction of Regalite sanding paper, a product that has become a cornerstone of the 3M sandpaper lineup and endures to this day.
3M’s reach extends to over 200 countries, with corporate operations spanning more than 70 nations. The company’s unwavering commitment to innovation and addressing the evolving demands of various industries has been instrumental in their remarkable success. 3M consistently secures a place on the Fortune 500 list, thanks to its ability to innovate and adapt to industry requirements. In fact, over one-third of 3M’s sales are attributed to products developed within the last five years, highlighting the pivotal role of innovation in propelling the company forward.
Norton, a prominent name in the sandpaper industry, boasts a strong reputation and an unwavering commitment to innovation. Operating under the Saint-Gobain brand, Norton maintains a workforce of over 2,200 employees distributed across eight facilities.
The company’s roots trace back to its establishment in 1885 by John Jeppson and Milton Higgins, and it has since become renowned for its extensive array of sandpaper products catering to diverse trades, with a notable emphasis on hardwood flooring.
Norton places a high premium on continuous enhancement, with a specific focus on cost reduction, dust and noise elimination, and the development of ergonomically designed products that enhance both comfort and biomechanics. In the realm of hardwood flooring, Norton has earned widespread recognition for its Red Heat and Blaze sandpaper and abrasives, marking its position as an industry leader.
Differences Between 3M & Norton
- Norton uses 100% ceramic mineral while 3m uses a blend
- Norton has more sandpaper-type offerings
- 3M only uses its Regalite blend for all paper sizes
About 3M Regalite
3M Regalite is a type of sandpaper designed for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors. It is known for its high-quality abrasive mineral, which is often aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is a tough and durable abrasive material that is well-suited for sanding wood and other surfaces.
3M Regalite sandpaper is widely used in the flooring industry because of its ability to effectively remove old finishes, smooth out imperfections, and prepare the surface for staining or refinishing. It comes in various grits, allowing you to choose the appropriate level of coarseness for your specific project, from rough sanding to fine finishing.
The term “Regalite” is a specific product line or series of abrasives within 3M’s extensive range of sandpaper products. These products are designed to provide consistent and reliable performance for floor sanding applications, making them a popular choice for both professional flooring contractors and DIY enthusiasts.
About Norton Red Heat
Norton Red Heat sandpaper is a high-quality abrasive product specifically designed for sanding and refinishing hardwood floors. It is a well-regarded choice among flooring professionals and DIY enthusiasts for its exceptional performance and durability.
Key features of Norton Red Heat flooring sandpaper include:
- Abrasive Material: Norton Red Heat typically uses a high-quality abrasive material like aluminum oxide. This abrasive is known for its toughness and longevity, making it suitable for sanding hardwood floors effectively.
- Durability: Red Heat sandpaper is engineered to be long-lasting, which is crucial for sanding hardwood floors that can be tough on abrasives due to the hardness of the wood and potential contaminants in the finish.
- Heat Resistance: The “Red Heat” name suggests its ability to handle high heat generated during sanding without prematurely breaking down, which contributes to extended product life.
- Versatility: It is available in various grits, allowing you to choose the right coarseness for your specific sanding needs, from initial rough sanding to finer finishing work.
- Reduced Clogging: Norton often incorporates anti-clogging technology into their Red Heat products to prevent the sandpaper from loading up with wood dust and finish residue, which can extend its useful life.
- Consistency: Norton Red Heat sandpaper is known for its consistent performance, allowing for uniform and high-quality results in floor sanding projects.
- Wide Application: While often used in hardwood floor sanding, Norton Red Heat sandpaper can also be used on other wood surfaces and is suitable for both professional and DIY use.
It’s important to note that Norton Red Heat is just one of the many sandpaper products offered by Norton, a well-established brand in the abrasives industry. When selecting sandpaper for your flooring project, consider the specific requirements of your project, such as the condition of the floor, the type of wood, and the desired finish, and choose the appropriate grit and product to achieve the best results.