Ten Oaks was originally established in 1922 as the Stuart Lumber Company, founded by a group of citizens in Stewart, Virginia who wanted to utilize the region’s abundant timber resources. In the early years of the company’s history, leadership changed hands among the four founders on a regular basis.
In 1982, Buddy decided to leave the Masonite Corporation and start his own business. He began by acquiring moth-balled strip flooring equipment from Masonite and setting it up on the Mayo River. Using this equipment, he founded the Stuart Flooring Corporation in July 1984, using only half of a strip mill manufacturing line.
Buddy, the founder of Ten Oaks, made the decision to expand his business in 2004 by acquiring the T-George Vaughan Furniture company and its building in Stuart, Virginia. This acquisition provided him with a large space that he planned to use to grow his hardwood flooring operation. The building had 260,000 square feet of space and was situated on 34 acres of land. In addition to the physical space, Buddy also changed the name of the company from Stuart Flooring to Ten Oaks, LLC, with the goal of improving the quality of his hardwood flooring products.
As Ten Oaks grew over the next 14 years, it became clear that the company needed more space and resources to keep up with demand. Fortunately, an opportunity presented itself when Shaw Industries announced plans to close the old Stuart Flooring mill. Ten Oaks was able to purchase the plant and use its 260,000 square feet and 34 acres of land to expand the hardwood flooring operation. The acquisition allowed Ten Oaks to expand its product line and offer an even wider range of solid hardwood flooring products to customers.